Sunday, September 26, 2010

Challenge to the JG

It appears the JG editorial staff will not interview (all?) school board candidates as they have in the past. Instead they have requested candidates to respond to a questionnaire, which they will presumably use to choose whom they endorse.

I'm challenging the JG to publish the candidates' responses verbatim without editing or embellishment instead of using selected parts to support their predetermined views. If brevity is a problem tell the candidates to reduce them to a maximum word count. If the answers are incoherent, so be it. I'll stand by my answers and anything I've said in this blog over the past two years. Nothing I've written has been deleted or changed. I don't have a problem with any voter reading any blog in it's entirety, but I do have a problem with the JG using isolated pieces out of context as they've done in the past.

I would even suggest that both papers forego endorsements entirely. Print the candidates' views fairly and let the readers decide for themselves whom to vote for. But that's probably asking too much.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

why is the school (fwcs) budget twice what the city budget is? city budget incudes police, firemen, services. pls xplain.

Code Blue Schools said...

All told the district has about 4000employees, way more than the city. Since the tax bill was rewritten two years ago, their general fund which pays most of the salaries, now comes from the state, through the increase in sales tax which came with the property tax caps.

Government run public education is a big "business". There's a lot of publicity and scrutiny around what the city spends but practically nothing around the schools.

Truth.. said...

Perhaps the Waynedale News would publish all for you? They are up to 30,000 readers...that's a lot of votes...people may laugh at that idea but I know for a fact that people in the southside of town are really enjoying that paper. I am for one...Email them news@waynedalenews.com or call 260-747-4535 I also know that their advertising for election time is WAY far cheaper than Ft Wayne Newspapers also. Just a thought...

Code Blue Schools said...

I ran ads in the Waynedale News two years ago telling them that Corona was in favor of closing Elmhurst. He still got reelected. People don't vote or don't pay attention.

Cheaper than the JG butnot cheap.

Phil Marx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil Marx said...

Wow, they actually accepted your challenge!


http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100930/EDIT08/100939960/1147/EDIT07


http://myhudhouse.blogspot.com/2010/10/fort-wayne-school-board-questionnaires.html

Code Blue Schools said...

Amazing isn't it. Hopefully they'll leave it at that. If so, no one can complain about unfair representation of their views and, if I made an ass of myself, so be it.

siestagirl said...

Hey Phil...tried to comment on your site but could not.
Wanted to add this link: http://hollingsworthforschoolboard.com/

Election 2011 said...

Siestagirl,

I fixed the My HUD House blog so it is back open for comments now.

I also have the ELECTION 2010 site. It's not open to comments, but I do accept tips and add them there myself. I have not gotten all the information for local candidates put up yet, but I will add the Hollingsworth link when I do.

Since Evert is such a big proponent of open communication, I'll go ahead and provide links to both my sites here. If I'm wrong, I guess he'll just delete my comment. :)

http://myhudhouse.blogspot.com/

http://e2010-ac.blogspot.com/