Monday, February 28, 2011

That was my letter, at least most of it

I saw my letter to the editor on school reform in the JG today. I've written a number of them over the years. Surprisingly enough they have all been printed, although not always as I wrote them. Today's version was considerably shorter than what I wrote but I have to say it didn't change the essence of my thoughts, most of which were pretty well preserved.

My experience at my former high school, which included a year of tutoring in algebra classes after trying unsuccessfully to teach as a substitute, started my frustration with FWCS. The score at SSHS on last year's End of Course Exams (19% passing in math, omitted from the letter) show that, if anything, the situation is getting worse and meaningful reforms are not coming from within. Yet the official line from the board and administration continues to defy the reality in the classrooms. The reality is bad enough. The hypocrisy just compounds it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evert,
Happy to see that you are still the "conscience" of the FWCC !! What do you think of the Board's announcement that they will oppose the bill concerning collective bargaining etc? It seems to me that the "inmates are running the asylum" !

Code Blue Schools said...

I can only comment on what I've read in the local media. GiaQuinta's remarks are just inane. They should embarrass anyone associated with the district. Up to now I did have some respect for his brother Phil, but he's now parroting Mark from his motel in Illinois with the other Democrats trying to keep their union money coming. Neither one has a grip on reality, they're just trying hard to manufacture it.

I can only hope Mitch and Tony take note and act accordingly.

gadfly said...

Evert:

On the subject of GiaQuinta and the union, I wrote a piece on my blog entitled "Fort Wayne School Board Pays Its Union Dues."

You might find it interesting in these times.

http://tinyurl.com/472nmtt

Code Blue Schools said...

Gadfly - "Unions are for chumps". I would agree that private sector unions are for chumps, since most of them have put themselves out of existence. In the case of public sector unions, the voters and taxpayers are the chumps for electing politicians (Democrats) in bed with these unions

Anonymous said...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704615504576172701898769040.html

Code Blue Schools said...

Anon - I'm having tr4ouble getting to the article. There were a number of opinion pieces on Unions, like the one on the demise of the UAW. Maybe you can summarize what it says.

My issue with teachers' unions is not about their pay and benefits. The benefits are out of line with the private sector but that will eventually even out. The problem is with the work rules, especially the use of seniority to determine pay and retention. That kind of system is not in the best interest of the kids.